Where buttock implants are inserted during surgery
During surgery, the implant can be inserted in three different anatomical locations. The implants can be placed above the muscle, inside the muscle, and under the muscle.
As an experienced surgeon, I highly prefer to insert the implants inside the muscle because of the following reasons:
- The implants will be well supported and it avoids bottoming out of the implant.
- It provides a good cover. The edge of the implants cannot be seen on the sides.
- It lessens the risk of capsular contracture.
- It provides coverage and avoids infection of the implant in case your incision opens.
- It avoids flipping of the implant upside down.
In the United States, the majority of surgeons prefer to put the implants inside the muscle. With the firmness of the implants that are available on the market, having soft tissue coverage for them is crucial to avoid risks and complications.