Side effects to expect after breast surgery
Breast enhancement surgery is considered a major operation. It entails its own set of risks and possible complications. So before you make a final decision, make sure to discuss with your attending surgeon about the particular procedure. Aside from the realistic expectations about the result, you must also know the possible side effects that the surgery can bring.
Here are some common side effects that may occur after the breast enhancement surgery:
- Due to the general anesthesia, you may experience exhaustion and fatigue. You might even feel sick after the surgery.
- As the implants have not yet adjusted to their new environment, you would feel your chest contracting.
- For the first week, you will experience a distended sensation. This is the same as the feeling that a mother experiences after giving birth.
- As long as the blood circulation in your breast doesn’t return to normal, you will experience morning rigidity.
- There would be swelling in the breasts that will bring discomfort.
- There would be inflammation on the surgical site. However, this is a good indication that your body starts to heal.
- There would be bruises that can be treated with warm compression.
- There are different factors that can affect your scars. Some heal easily while others develop bad scarring or keloids.
- The damaged nerves trigger a feeling of numbness.
- You may experience hypersensitivity, especially on your nipples. It is recommended to cover your nipples with small pads for temporary relief.
While there are very rare cases, here is a list of the more dangerous side effects:
- Excessive bleeding
- Seroma and hematoma
- Pus formation in the surgical area
- High fever
- Implant rupture
- Blood cells in urine
- Nausea and vomiting
- Passing out
- Death of skin